For Immediate Release
June 1, 2017
Contact: Kate Achelpohl, SGIA
Fairfax, Virginia — SGIA is pleased to announce the 2017 recipients of the SGIA Scholarship:
- Samantha Keller (Goodhue, Minnesota), University of Wisconsin-Stout, Major: Cross-Media Graphics Management
- Flora Lawson (Hartville, Missouri), College of the Ozarks, Major: Graphic Arts
- Lea Layva (Seneca, Missouri), Pittsburg State University, Major: Graphic Communications
- Sylvia Ma (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), Ryerson University, Major: Graphic Communications Management
- Kayla Mattson (Germantown, Illinois), Illinois State University, Major: Graphic Communications
- Chad McCartney (Branson, Missouri), College of the Ozarks, Major: Graphic Arts
- Heidi McClain (Fayetteville, Georgia), Georgia Southern University, Major: Graphic Design, Minor: Graphic Communications Management
- Mitchell Morgan (Maplewood, Minnesota), Rochester Institute of Technology, Major: Media Arts and Technology (Note: 2016 SGIA Scholarship recipient)
- Maya Seto (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), Ryerson University, Major: Graphic Communications Management
- Amanda Whyte (Markham, Ontario, Canada), Ryerson University, Major: Graphic Communications Management
SGIA selected the recipients from a pool of 32 applicants, based on academic achievement, demonstrated commitment to a career in graphic communications, printing technology or printing management, extracurricular activities, financial need, a one-page essay and academic and professional recommendations.
Each student has received $2,000 to support their plans to attend post-secondary education in the Fall 2017 semester at an active SGIA Educational Institution member school.
“These scholarships do more than help promising, hard-working students advance on their career paths in our exciting industry. They help SGIA strengthen our industry and its future workforce,” said Erin Nuss, Associate Manager of Education, SGIA. She added, “Judging by the applications, the future of our industry is in very good hands!”
The scholarships are funded by the Specialty Graphic Imaging Foundation, SGIA’s nonprofit educational affiliate, which is supported by generous donations from endowment investors and industry leaders.
SGIA — Supporting the Leaders of the Digital & Screen Printing Community
Having its origins in the screen printing industry, SGIA embraced the digital revolution early on and is now the trade association of choice for professionals in the industrial, graphic, garment, textile, electronics, packaging and commercial printing communities looking to grow their business into new market segments through the incorporation of the latest printing technologies. SGIA membership comprises these diverse segments, all of which are moving rapidly towards digital adoption. As long-time champions of digital technologies and techniques, SGIA is the community of peers you are looking for to help navigate the challenges of this process. Additionally, the SGIA Expo is the largest trade show for print technology in North America. “Whatever the medium, whatever the message, print is indispensable. Join the community — SGIA.”